Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Campanile - Grilled Cheese Night

For those of you that don't know April is National Grilled Cheese Month.  So in honor of one of my favorite things to eat I wanted to find the best grilled cheese in Los Angles.  I read a few places that Campanile has a whole night dedicated to grilled chesses so I really wanted to check it out.  Every night of the week the restaurant has a different theme and Thursday is grilled cheese night.  They actually boast that they were the first restaurant in LA to have a night that features a grilled cheese menu.  The menu changes seasonally which keeps it interesting.  The menu for my visit had the classic which interestingly includes grilled onions and mustard and some quite unusual ones including a crab roll and autostrada.  I was particularly intrigued by the Croque Monsieur because it was featured on the cover of Bon Appetit a few months ago and it looked amazingly delicious so I thought I'd try it out.  The restaurant itself was pretty cool - sleek and trendy.  It is connected with La Brea Bakery which is legendary in itself.  The meal started with bread (from the bakery) and a bottle of wine.  They actually had a sale on wine in celebration of tax time so certain bottles were half of, we of course took advantage of this.  We split the Croque Monsieur which came with fries and a salad.

 
I was surpprised that it was open faced unlike the previous pictures I had seen.  Getting past the look, the sandwhich was pretty tasty but not what I would typically think of as a grilled cheese.  The mushroom sauce added an extra layer of flavor to what I would describe as a opend-faced ham and chesse but it was missing the chessiness and greasiness of a classic grilled cheese.  All in all, the meal was satisfying and good in taste but did not meet my expectations in regards to a grilled cheese.  Perhaps next time I will go for the classic.  Before we left they corked the rest of our bottle of wine and let us take it home.  Pretty cool.

Overall, a good place to eat but I wouldn't classify it as the best grilled cheese EVER.  If you're in LA give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment